We hit on the massive UFC 249 card Dana White is trying to put together last week. The plan was to have three championship fights, but one of those has now been scrapped.
Double champ Amanda ‘The Lioness’ Nunes, who has clearly established herself as the greatest women’s mixed martial artist in the sport’s history with her accomplishments the last four years, won’t defend her featherweight strap vs. Felicia Spencer on May 9.
In an interview Monday with Brian Campbell of CBS Sports, Nunes said, “Actually, I’m not fighting May 9. I’m going to fight, [but] I don’t know yet. I don’t think this is the right time for me right now to fight. Let this coronavirus pass a little bit so I can at least have a full camp. We can maybe see around June, [but] let’s see what is going to happen. But I’m not fighting [May 9].”
As of Monday, most betting shops had Nunes favored in the -475 neighborhood, leaving Spencer around +375 at most spots.
Nunes won the 145-pound title with a first-round KO victory over Cris Cyborg. Since then, she’s twice defended her bantamweight championship with wins over Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie.
Spencer (8-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) has been impressive since joining the promotion. She has a pair of wins via first-round finishes and her lone defeat came against Cyborg by unanimous decision.
**B.E.’s Octagon Nuggets**
–UFC welterweight Lyman Good revealed Monday that he’s recovered from a COVID-19 diagnosis he received earlier this month. Good announced he was pulling out of his UFC 249 fight with Belal Muhammed back on April 4. At the same time, he said the withdrawal was for an injury, but he came clean in an ESPN interview on April 20. “We didn’t wanna feed into the fear, the imminent fear that’s going on in society right now,” Good told ESPN.
“There’s a pandemic, it is a real thing happening. But I didn’t wanna stoke the flames, so to speak, and influence the fear factor of other people. I just want to let everyone know I’m much better now.” Good revealed that his coach and his girlfriend both tested positive as well. Good is the first UFC fighter to publicly reveal a positive test for COVID-19.
–Perennial UFC welterweight contender Matt Brown never got tested for COVID-19, but he expressed in an interview this week that he suspects he had it back in February. His UFC Columbus fight was cancelled, and now he’s hoping the UFC will book him against Carlos Condit for a third time this year. Loyal readers know that Condit and Brown are two of my favorite fighters ever, so this is a showdown I’ve been dying to see for years. Twice it’s been booked, only for Brown to pull out both times due to injuries in 2013 and ’18.
–Frankie Edgar recently mentioned in an interview with MMAJunkie’s John Morgan that he’s eyeing a return in June. Edgar is still looking to make his bantamweight debut. Those plans were put on hold when he replaced Brian Ortega to face The Korean Zombie in South Korea on short notice earlier this year. Edgar lost by first-round KO. He mentioned to Morgan that Aljamain Sterling is a potential opponent.