MajorWager Forums

MajorWager Forums (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/)
-   The MW Entertainment Forum (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mw-entertainment-forum/)
-   -   GUNS N' ROSES blogger busted by Feds after posting pirated new tracks online. (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mw-entertainment-forum/168805-guns-n-roses-blogger-busted-feds-after-posting-pirated-new-tracks-online.html)

Uncle B 06-25-2008 11:40 PM

GUNS N' ROSES blogger busted by Feds after posting pirated new tracks online.

Quote:

The California blogger who posted nine leaked tracks from GUNS N' ROSES long-awaited album CHINESE DEMOCRACY online has become the subject of a new FBI investigation.

Kevin Skwerl tells Rolling Stone magazine he was "ambushed" by the two agents on Monday (23Jun08) after admitting he posted the tracks on his Antiquiet blog after receiving them from "an anonymous online source."

He says, "When I came back from lunch they were waiting in the lobby for me. It's a little creepy they know where I work."

He was questioned for 15 minutes.

Skwerl adds, "I wasn't sure if they were going to come by with a warrant and trash the place, like in the movies."

According to the music publication, the agents asked to see the original files, but Skwerl advised he had already erased them last week after being told to do so by attorneys representing Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose.

Instead Skwerl handed over second-hand files that are now widely available on the Internet.

Meanwhile, the blogger recalls his whole world going crazy minutes after he posted the leaked tracks online. Eventually he was contacted by Rose's representatives.

He tells the magazine, "It was a really cool guy from the Gn'R camp that was a middle man between someone who was very angry and me. He was trying to reach out and see if I'd go without a fight, which is more or less what I did."

Skwerl agreed to take the controversial file down.

StarnetGypsy 06-26-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle B (Post 1417436)
"When I came back from lunch they were waiting in the lobby for me. It's a little creepy they know where I work."

Yo, Kevin ...

Uncle B 06-30-2008 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarnetGypsy (Post 1417448)
Yo, Kevin ...

I'd have run....Fuck it, make them earn their pay.

Uncle B 08-28-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

A blogger suspected of streaming songs from the unreleased Guns N' Roses album "Chinese Democracy" on his Web site was arrested Wednesday and appeared in court, where his bail was set at $10,000.

FBI agents arrested 27-year-old Kevin Cogill on Wednesday morning on suspicion of violating federal copyright laws. Cogill appeared in court in the afternoon wearing a T-shirt; his girlfriend sat court and afterward said, "Rally the troops," but declined further comment.

Federal authorities say Cogill posted nine unreleased Guns N' Roses songs on his Web site in June. The songs were later removed.

In later posts, Cogill wrote that the FBI had questioned him and asked his readers if any of them knew a good attorney. He was represented Wednesday by a federal public defender.

According to an arrest affidavit, Cogill admitted to agents that he posted the songs on his Web site. Prosecutors said Wednesday the leak could result in a "significant" financial loss for the band.

Cogill will not face any special Internet restrictions, but was ordered to appear in court for a preliminary hearing on Sept. 17.

"Guns N' Roses representatives have been made aware of the arrest and are leaving the matter to the authorities," said Larry Solters, the band's spokesman.

"Chinese Democracy" is a much anticipated and repeatedly delayed new album by Guns N' Roses that is more than 10 years in the making. At least one of the album's songs could be heard legally: The band wrote on its Web site in July that its track, "Shackler's Revenge" will be featured on the video game Rock Band 2, slated for release in September.

KingKilla 08-28-2008 12:59 PM

Of course Axl Rose should be crying, after all he might be in need of money after snorting all the cash he made from previous GnR releases...