MajorWager Forums

MajorWager Forums (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/)
-   Mess Hall (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/)
-   -   WHAT SEPERATES THE GOOD BOOKMAKERS AND THE GREAT BOOKMAKERS? (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/90814-what-seperates-good-bookmakers-great-bookmakers.html)

REALITY 05-17-2001 09:49 PM

WHAT SEPERATES THE GOOD BOOKMAKERS AND THE GREAT BOOKMAKERS?

A COMPETENT BOOKMAKER PUTS UP A SERVICEABLE LINE AND DOES A REASONABLY GOOD JOB MOVING THE LINE AFTER IT IS BET.

A BETTER THAN AVERAGE BOOKMAKER PUTS UP A LITTLE BETTER LINE AND MOVES THE LINE A LITTLE BETTER AFTER IT IS BET.

WHAT SEPERATES THE GOOD BOOKMAKERS FROM THE GREAT BOOKMAKERS IS THE OPENING LINE.

THOSE BOOKMAKERS WHO CAN POST AN OPENING NUMBER THAT WILL BE CLOSER TO THE CLOSING NUMBER ON A CONSISTENT BASIS WILL OUTPERFORM HIS PEERS YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT.

A NUMBER THAT IS WEAK AT IT'S INCEPTION WILL BE WEAK THROUGHOUT.

THIS EXPOSURE IS THE MAIN FACTOR THAT EATS AWAY AT THE HOUSE'S BOTTOM LINE AND WIN%.

IT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN WIN% BETWEEN WHAT BIG POST UP SHOPS WIN AND WHAT BIG CLEARING HOUSES WIN.

IF A BOOKMAKER WITH OUTSTANDING TECHNICAL SKILLS IS FORCED TO CONSTANTLY PLAY CATCH UP WITH A WEAK OPENING LINE THE BEST HE CAN ACCOMPLISH IS AN AVERAGE SEASON YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT.

HE WILL BE A COMPETENT BUT AVERAGE BOOKMAKER.

A BOOKMAKER WHO HAS THE ABILITY TO POST STRONG NUMBERS ON A DAILY BASIS AND HAS EXCELLENT TECHNICAL SKILLS CAN OUTPERFORM THE INDUSTRY STANDARD YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT.

EVEN IN BAD SEASONS HE CAN EXCELL THANKS TO THE QUALITY OF HIS OPENING LINE.

STRONG OPENING NUMBERS THAT ARE CLOSER TO THE CLOSING NUMBER ON A REGULAR BASIS ALLOW THE BOOKMOOKER THE LUXURY OF POSTING AN OFF THE BOARD NUMBER AT THE END IF HE NEEDS A BUYBACK WITHOUT THE LARGER EXPOSURE HE WOULD HAVE HAD WITH A WEAK OPENING NUMBER.

THIS REDUCTION IN EXPOSURE IN THE MANAGEMENT OF THE LINE DUE TO THE STRENGTH OF THE OPENING NUMBERS IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GOOD BOOKMAKERS AND THE GREAT BOOKMAKERS...

REALITY

[This message has been edited by REALITY (edited 05-17-2001).]

REALITY 06-16-2001 08:12 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:[/size]<HR>Originally posted by REALITY:

A COMPETENT BOOKMAKER PUTS UP A SERVICEABLE LINE AND DOES A REASONABLY GOOD JOB MOVING THE LINE AFTER IT IS BET.

A BETTER THAN AVERAGE BOOKMAKER PUTS UP A LITTLE BETTER LINE AND MOVES THE LINE A LITTLE BETTER AFTER IT IS BET.

WHAT SEPERATES THE GOOD BOOKMAKERS FROM THE GREAT BOOKMAKERS IS THE OPENING LINE.

THOSE BOOKMAKERS WHO CAN POST AN OPENING NUMBER THAT WILL BE CLOSER TO THE CLOSING NUMBER ON A CONSISTENT BASIS WILL OUTPERFORM HIS PEERS YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT.

A NUMBER THAT IS WEAK AT IT'S INCEPTION WILL BE WEAK THROUGHOUT.

THIS EXPOSURE IS THE MAIN FACTOR THAT EATS AWAY AT THE HOUSE'S BOTTOM LINE AND WIN%.

IT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN WIN% BETWEEN WHAT BIG POST UP SHOPS WIN AND WHAT BIG CLEARING HOUSES WIN.

IF A BOOKMAKER WITH OUTSTANDING TECHNICAL SKILLS IS FORCED TO CONSTANTLY PLAY CATCH UP WITH A WEAK OPENING LINE THE BEST HE CAN ACCOMPLISH IS AN AVERAGE SEASON YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT.

HE WILL BE A COMPETENT BUT AVERAGE BOOKMAKER.

A BOOKMAKER WHO HAS THE ABILITY TO POST STRONG NUMBERS ON A DAILY BASIS AND HAS EXCELLENT TECHNICAL SKILLS CAN OUTPERFORM THE INDUSTRY STANDARD YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT.

EVEN IN BAD SEASONS HE CAN EXCELL THANKS TO THE QUALITY OF HIS OPENING LINE.

STRONG OPENING NUMBERS THAT ARE CLOSER TO THE CLOSING NUMBER ON A REGULAR BASIS ALLOW THE BOOKMOOKER THE LUXURY OF POSTING AN OFF THE BOARD NUMBER AT THE END IF HE NEEDS A BUYBACK WITHOUT THE LARGER EXPOSURE HE WOULD HAVE HAD WITH A WEAK OPENING NUMBER.

THIS REDUCTION IN EXPOSURE IN THE MANAGEMENT OF THE LINE DUE TO THE STRENGTH OF THE OPENING NUMBERS IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GOOD BOOKMAKERS AND THE GREAT BOOKMAKERS...

REALITY

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THIS POST WAS EITHER THE GOSPEL TRUTH OR IT OFFENDED SO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SIDE OF THE COUNTER THAT NOBODY SOUGHT TO DIGNIFY IT WITH A RESPONSE...

REALITY

The Actuary 06-16-2001 08:46 AM

BFD

So a guy who's the first to figure out how to price his product correctly gets the highest return. Finally, a parallel to the real world of business and industry. Amazing.

[This message has been edited by The Actuary (edited 06-16-2001).]

ramonscottsports.com 06-16-2001 09:17 AM

While I enjoyed the post very much, having missed it the first time, this one easily could have just slid by since it was technical in nature, making replies unnecessary.
By the way, why doesn't everybody in the world laying overnight favorites at Camelot and taking late dogs at Bowman's?
Can the late money really be influencing 20 and 30 cent moves before game time?

Sonny Palermo 06-16-2001 02:28 PM

Reality,
I just saw this thread,
after I posted the question you answer here in Reno's thread above.
Tell me, can it (a good bookmaker) not be defined in the simplest of terms -

the lousy book maker obviously loses $;

the good bookmaker meets the expected, acceptable NP for this particular industry;

the excellent book maker exceeds it?

[This message has been edited by Sonny Palermo (edited 06-16-2001).]

REALITY 06-16-2001 03:20 PM

SONNY,

IT IS DEFINITELY ABOUT THE MONEY.

MY POST MERELY SOUGHT TO EXPLAIN HOW THE BETTER B.M.'S GET MORE OF IT...

REALITY

REALITY 06-16-2001 03:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:[/size]<HR>Originally posted by The Actuary:

BFD

So a guy who's the first to figure out how to price his product correctly gets the highest return. Finally, a parallel to the real world of business and industry. Amazing.

[This message has been edited by The Actuary (edited 06-16-2001).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANKS FOR YOUR BRILLIANT CONTRIBUTION TO THIS TOPIC.

TAKE A LEAD FROM HEATH AND REFINE YOUR STYLE...

REALITY

Samurai 06-16-2001 03:29 PM

Back from retirement...again?

REALITY 06-16-2001 03:32 PM

SAMAURAI,

I WAS DRAWN INTO A LITTLE CONTROVERSY IF YOU HADN'T NOTICED.

HAVE NO FEAR,I'M DONE.

BUT THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN...

REALITY

Sonny Palermo 06-16-2001 09:12 PM

Reality,
thanks for the reply;
is 5 % NP the generally agreed upon amount?
and why are you "done/retired"?
I miss something?
Had a couple ?'s,
where can you be reached?

[This message has been edited by Sonny Palermo (edited 06-16-2001).]

REALITY 06-16-2001 09:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:[/size]<HR>Originally posted by REALITY:

WISEGUY CLEARING HOUSES LIKE C.R.I.S.,OLYMPIC,AND GRANDE ARE THRILLED TO WIN BETWEEN 1 AND 2% OF THEIR HANDLE.

BIG POST UP STORES LIKE TO WIN BETWEEN 3 AND 5% OF THE HANDLE.

11/10 IS A LOT BIGGER IN THE POST UP SHOPS, WHERE THE EXPOSURE IN THE LINE DOES NOT EAT UP THE BOTTOM LINE AS IT DOES IN THE BIG CLEARING HOUSES WHO BY VIRTUE OF POSTING THEIR LINES FIRST WRITE MORE VOLUME BUT ALSO HAVE MORE EXPOSURE.

IN THE END THE BIG CLEARING HOUSES HAVE A HOUSE SALAD.

THE BIG POST UP HOUSES HAVE A CAESAR'S SALAD WITH A GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST ON TOP.

REALITY
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SONNY,

MY PLEASURE.

I'VE WORN OUT MY WELCOME HERE.

IF YOU WANT TO POST AN E-MAIL ADDRESS I'LL CONTACT YOU.

REALITY

Sonny Palermo 06-16-2001 09:51 PM

in that case I have Caesers with BLACKENED chicken on top!
R,
as a rule I don't post my e-mail in other forums, don't want to appear to be soliciting,
I'll ask F or R to forward me yours......

KingOfTheSquares 06-16-2001 10:21 PM

BFD: So a guy who's the first to figure out how to price his product correctly gets the highest return. Finally, a parallel to the real world of business and industry. Amazing.

Great Post, Mr A!

...after chasing white rabbits in this forum, nice to see another guy who can spot rabbit *spots* too...

Sonny Palermo 06-16-2001 11:40 PM

KOS,
That's what I was wondering as I've started reading more of these "bookmaker" posts - are they held to some other standard?
Isn't it the same bottom line as in any business/industry - are you reaching acceptable profit levels?
Isn't all else irrelevant?
It seems to me that some have other criteria, and some of that is based on what they would like to see, as bettors, not from the point of view of what owners/shareholders would like to see.......

Bman66 06-17-2001 01:05 AM

ramonscottsports.com,

Your theory sounds good with the exception that you won't be able to get down on the dog at Bowman's for very long. Once they see you playing dogs regularly, you'll be switched over to the sharp line. Many people here have verified that it's happened to them.

Bman66

06-17-2001 06:53 AM

In another thread, Sonny Palermo asked me for my definition of a great BM.
Here it is:

A great BM always threatens to retire but never does. And when he has dinner with a wiseguy that he's booted, he always picks up the check. LOL.

ronbets 06-17-2001 08:19 AM

GOOD BMS: Always reach for the dinner check.
GREAT BMS: Have already paid.

GOOD BMS: Let out mumbling expletives when overhead monitor shows game and side middled.
GREAT BMS: Just stare coldly as half the house high fives and endzone dances.

GOOD BMS: Get twice as much action from originators.

[This message has been edited by ronbets (edited 06-17-2001).]

REALITY 06-17-2001 09:00 AM

GREAT B.M.'S ALWAYS PAY PLAYERS WHO ARE BASKING IN THE THRILL OF VICTORY IN FULL,ON TIME AND WITH A SMILE.

GREAT B.M.'S CELEBRATE THE THRILL OF VICTORY AND THE AGONY OF DEFEAT IN ISOLATION BEHIND CLOSED DOORS...

REALITY

nidasar 06-17-2001 03:41 PM

100% agree with you