MajorWager Forums

MajorWager Forums (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/)
-   Mess Hall (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/)
-   -   Any sharps here got a Tesla? (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/237379-any-sharps-here-got-tesla.html)

Michael Cash 08-04-2017 08:08 AM

Any sharps here got a Tesla?

Selling my truck in a couple hours and I was about to buy a new SUV but these Teslas keep chasing me around making me think I need one of those instead. If anyone has one what do you think about it?

KoolPappy 08-04-2017 08:36 AM

Get the SUV. Why do you want to pay $100,000 for a battery powered car? Plus you'll have to buy a new $10,000 battery in a few years. Gas is cheap!

niltes 08-04-2017 08:41 AM

nice car, solid styling, great tech, overpriced, and not that cheap to operate
depending upon your electric rate. range is 200+ to close to
300 between charges depending upon options. pain to recharge. superchargers
are 15-20 min when you can find them. many charge their cars overnight,
but have to upgrade their outlets to make the charging semi-fast.
not good for long trips as you will be charging quite often and have to plan
your stops like a navigator. hope this helps.

nino brown 08-04-2017 09:21 AM

wait 20 years...tech should be a breeze by then

Michael Cash 08-04-2017 09:33 AM

Lol Pappy!

I work from home so I don't drive much. The truck I am selling I bought new in August 2015 and it only has 15,600 miles. My old lady has a baby SUV if we want to road trip somewhere and there is a super charger about 15 minutes away right by Costco where I do all the time. The warranty on the battery is infinity mile I believe and I rarely keep a car beyond 4-5 years so I think I might give it a try. I've talked to a couple people who love theirs but I wondered if anyone here had one and what they thought.

Big Baller 08-06-2017 03:06 PM

I bought a used Nissan Leaf with 14,000 miles for 14 grand.
My ex-employer gave me $2000 because it was a "green" car.
I've also got another $1500 in local utility rebates.
I generally get monthly mileage checks for $400-600.
I ran the numbers on buying gas and this was a no-brainer.
The rumor about replacing batteries is not true. My buddy who is head mechanic at the dealership says he's never seen complete battery failure.
The car is super fast, no transmission shifting, obviously quiet, great center screen with radio, map,telephone.
I haven't paid for anything on this car in two years. No gas, no oil change, nothing. I do need some tires, but will probably just rotate these for a while.
The back seat is normal-size, leather interior, and a huge trunk that fits all of our shit when we go to the beach or when I coach my kids soccer.
I got a free charge card when I bought it that was good for 6 months. When that expired I got another one from a neighboring dealer that works for two years. It's soon to expire and I will get on a plan from ENGvgo.
I also have a 220v charger at my house that charges it in 3-4 hours. I program it to charge in the middle of the night when electricity is cheap. I also have Solar panels on the roof of my house that offset the 3$ per charge on my electricity bill.
The Leaf only has a range of 80-100 miles. Some days I have to charge it at lunchtime at some superchargers next to an "In and Out Burger" or a killer Mexican Restaurant. The charge takes 20-30 minutes.
I definitely want the new Tesla that goes 220 miles and supposed to cost 30K, but didn't want to wait in line (400,000) for three years, they don't offer free charging, and the federal rebates will probably be snatched up by then.
Just got back from a trip with my friend who is on the $1000 waiting list. They all come Black, have to pay for white, red or silver. They also have a battery upgrade to 310 mile range (extra 10K). I told him I'd stick with Black and the 220 mile battery. I'm hoping I can get my hands on one from somebody who buys one and didn't realize that it does take some effort to drive a electric car (scheduling charging stations, etc..)
They also drive themselves (sketchy in my opinion).
I wouldn't buy one of the S models for 100K, but those newer models or a used one I'd take.

truckman 08-06-2017 03:46 PM

Who knew baller was such a tree hugger. T-9-9

I serve on the board of a non-profit organization and one of the guys who serves with me recently traded in his Maserati for a Telsa and just loves the Tesla.

Michael Cash 08-06-2017 04:53 PM

I think I'm doing it, I just gotta find one I want. I found a 2015 in Virginia I inquired about and a 2013 down the road I also inquired about. I'll let you know what happens.

Big Baller 08-06-2017 07:21 PM

Mine is a 2014.
Just took my old father-in-law for a drive to the butcher, after scoffing, he loves the car. I always step on the throttle and throw him back in his seat just to make a point..
Get yourself a charger at home on 220volts (mine was a kick-back from an electrician) they cost around $400.
I saw a Tesla deep in Yosemite National Park this weekend. Tesla's charging station network is far away the best, most convenient in the industry.

-was joking with the father-in-law that it will be a great first car for my kid. No maintenance, and can't get very far. Plus I have an App that shows where it is at all times..

Michael Cash 08-07-2017 10:06 PM

Take a guess at what a year of auto insurance for a tesla costs in Michigan

Big Baller 08-07-2017 11:52 PM

$200

Can't steal it because you can look on your phone to see where its at.
I know you can turn them on with your phone, must be able to disable it.
No black market for chopped cars, yet.
Only thing I could think would be expensive body repair?

Big Baller 08-07-2017 11:58 PM

Just looked at my Farmer's Insurance.
I have three cars, but this bill is just for my wife's RAV4 and My LEAF.
$800/year. Full Comp Insurance.

I think it's so expensive because I rear-ended some illegal immigrant without a license, in my truck a couple years ago.. fucker didn't know how to drive, slammed on his brakes in a merge lane.

KoolPappy 08-08-2017 08:44 AM

Since you got the wife's car and you are are mainly a local driver, take an Uber everywhere you go. Absolutely would be cheaper, plus you don't even have to drive.

Michael Cash 08-08-2017 08:49 AM

$3900 a year. I almost shit my pants. Michigan is the worst state in the country for auto insurance but this is outrageous even for here. My truck I just got rid of was costing me $1400 a year.

Michael Cash 08-08-2017 08:50 AM

LOL! Man I ain't taking Uber all over Pappy you fruitcake. Lol. That's the funniest shit I heard in a while

Big Baller 08-08-2017 02:42 PM

Holy Fuck!
I felt bad about the $800 for two cars.
WTF? Bad Winter/Icy roads? Hailstorms? Kids on your policy?

Michael Cash 08-08-2017 03:40 PM

Nah man, it's just that car. I was paying $1400 for my truck. Michigan is just fucked up for one because it's like the only no fault state still left and apparently they penalize you because Tesla has no dealers or service centers in Michigan which would cause any kind of repair to take place in either cleveland (GO CLEVEFAN!) or chicago.

So, my dreams crushed and I'm back to hunting for a gas guzzling SUV :-(