MajorWager Forums

MajorWager Forums (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/)
-   The Canteen (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/canteen/)
-   -   Is it me or is Bush struggling in this press conference (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/canteen/4924-me-bush-struggling-press-conference.html)

BuzzRavanaugh 04-14-2004 01:20 AM

Is it me or is Bush struggling in this press conference

I know its not really his thing but he seems really uncomfortable.

alec 04-14-2004 01:23 AM

RE:Is it me or is Bush struggling in this press conference

My impression exactly. I have just stopped watching it.

FENWAY 04-14-2004 01:31 AM

RE: Is it me or is Bush struggling in this press conference

He is a bozo without a script, he never answered why he and Cheney not going in front of 9-11 commision alone.

Could not answer what he would do different.

Does the whitehouse not have any combs in the place check his hair.

Total Square 04-14-2004 02:08 AM

sounded too much like his father.

if he answered one question...he answered em all NOT

sort of felt as though i was watching a saturday night live skit

TheGuesser 04-14-2004 02:31 AM

Reminded me of Fonzie when he couldn't say the word "wrong" on Happy Days. He couldn't identify any mistakes. Except Fonzie was a fictional, fun character.

KidVegas 04-14-2004 03:34 AM

I was waiting for one of the follow up questions to be, "sir, do you even know what the hell you are talking about".

Iowa Child 04-14-2004 04:38 AM

You guys probably had your minds made up before the press conference. He tied together all of the previous terror attacks pretty well I thought.

count zero 04-14-2004 05:19 AM

Like you didn't have your mind made up before the press conference.

Alan 04-14-2004 05:26 AM

Buzz, he was bad --- hurt himself with the press conference in my opinion.

Thank God he has the resolve to continue regardless of the polls. We must show the world that we have resolve to complete the job or we are in for a long road. Regardless of one's political beliefs, everyone must admit that living as they do in Israel with constant attacks is not something anyone should have to face on a regular basis. I fear we are not that far from having these type of events on our homeland. Both parties are disgraceful with the lies they expect the country to swallow. Ted Kennedy should just be getting out of jail and he is a fricking leader.

People with room temperature IQ's should be insulted with the lies that both parties dish out. Unfortunately, the people that may elect the next president do not reach that lofty level. We have no choice but to finish what we have started ---- started rightly or wrongly.

count zero 04-14-2004 05:57 AM

"We have no choice to to finish what we have started ---- started rightly or wrongly. "

I remember the same line of reasoning in Vietnam. It seems patently, unbelievably stupid to me. You make a bad decision, one that all your friends warned you was a bad decision, and you get a chance to minimize your losses, you're supposed to persist with something you now admit was wrong just because you'll look like a pussy if you don't? Should we also never fold a poker hand we've been pushing when a big draw hits and somebody bets into us? We're occupying another nation; they're not gonna roll over, it's their fvcking homeland. 99% of the world told us we were crazy to start with this, we told them we'd find WMDs, we didn't find any WMDs, now it's time to say, fine, go back to living in your own shit, this isn't worth one more American life, goodbye.

I don't want to live in fear anymore than the next guy, but we've basically been hit exactly once, which is about par for any industrialized country, and pretty good for the biggest kid on the block, plus it also appears that with more capable leadership we could have avoided even that one. The politicians want us to be scared, so we'll hand them a blank check, when in fact we have a lot more to fear from pissing away the principles that guided us for 200 years than we ever did from some tinhorn midget like Saddam.

I also agree that the collective IQ of the electorate is frightening. But they can't do any worse than they did last time out.

doddster98 04-14-2004 06:44 AM

CZ,

The problem with your argument is that Bush and Co. dont see this as a bad decision. Going into Iraq was not about WMDs or terrorist ties. They had their own agenda.

Dodd

alysheba88 04-14-2004 12:08 PM

Well put CZ, never understood why people feel the obsessive need to be "consistent" when the initial decision was wrong. No matter what the issue. Just like I never understood why its wrong for someone to change their mind on an issue.

Alan 04-14-2004 12:18 PM

CZ,

I should have said rather than "rightly or wrongly" that the issue was NOT if we were right or wrong about Iraq. Sadam had done enough over the years, ignored enough UN resolutions and bought enough polititians around the world for Iraq to be a good place to start showing the World that it is time we are going to do whatever it takes to make our country safe.

Political parties out of power and trying to get in power will say "we did not connect the dots and you failed your country by allowing 9/11 -- you should be held accountable" ---- then when the in power group goes out and is pro-active, you get the lame answers which I consider stupid like yours ".....but we've basically been hit exactly once ...... " Because, the next time we are hit, the same people that are out saying we are wrong being pro-active will say -- "you are at fault because you did not do enough" (check out the democratic position on what was done to prevent 9/11)

Sorta be damned if you do and be damned if you do not. Anyone that believes this is all about just Iraq is liviing in a fricken dream land. This is about sending a clear message to the World that we will not tolerate embracing attitudes that will provide shelter and assistance in planning attacks on the US or our interest.

Will we be able to Americanize the World? ----- clearly, we do not have the right to do that NOR do the people of the World want to be. I certainly hope no one thinks that is our goal who has a clue --- this is about making the US a safer place while retaining as many of the freedoms possible that we have grown to expect as the American way ----- The CIA and FBI did not communicate because of absurd legal issues that "protect our privacy rights" ---- some day, hopefully not after another event like 9/11, the left will wake up and realize that talking with the bastards that are after our ass is no good unless you show them there is action behind the talk. Lybia might have actually heard the message --- Syria and others may also get the message.

Your position is really flawed if the people that are resisting our help in Iraq are indeed in a small minority as responsible journalist who return from Iraq indicate ---- we do not see the progress, we just see what makes the largest Neilsen ratings when we turn on the news. We will see come June 30 when the control is supposed to change hands ---

Certainly the loss of life is terrible --- but we lost more on 9/11 and were very lucky that event was not a 30,000 or more loss. Every time I see a full stadium at a concert or sporting event, I wonder if those people are going to see their event and return home safe ------ Bush may be wrong with his approach but there are many of us (I hope the majority) that will let this play out and see if it works better than what clearly was failed policy for many years that lead us to 9/11. The Russian threat was not eliminated by being meek --- every liberal on the planet questioned Reagan --- but enjoyed the results of his wisdom.

jag 04-14-2004 01:58 PM

as a rule, i try to avoid politics in sports investment forums. however, i thought you fine folks might enjoy john kerry's editorial in yesterday's washington post:

A Strategy for Iraq

By John F. Kerry

Tuesday, April 13, 2004; Page A19

To be successful in Iraq, and in any war for that matter, our use of force must be tied to a political objective more complete than the ouster of a regime. To date, that has not happened in Iraq. It is time it did.

In the past week the situation in Iraq has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. While we may have differed on how we went to war, Americans of all political persuasions are united in our determination to succeed. The extremists attacking our forces should know they will not succeed in dividing America, or in sapping American resolve, or in forcing the premature withdrawal of U.S. troops. Our country is committed to help the Iraqis build a stable, peaceful and pluralistic society. No matter who is elected president in November, we will persevere in that mission.

But to maximize our chances for success, and to minimize the risk of failure, we must make full use of the assets we have. If our military commanders request more troops, we should deploy them. Progress is not possible in Iraq if people lack the security to go about the business of daily life. Yet the military alone cannot win the peace in Iraq. We need a political strategy that will work.

Over the past year the Bush administration has advanced several plans for a transition to democratic rule in Iraq. Each of those plans, after proving to be unworkable, was abandoned. The administration has set a date (June 30) for returning authority to an Iraqi entity to run the country, but there is no agreement with the Iraqis on how it will be constituted to make it representative enough to have popular legitimacy. Because of the way the White House has run the war, we are left with the United States bearing most of the costs and risks associated with every aspect of the Iraqi transition. We have lost lives, time, momentum and credibility. And we are seeing increasing numbers of Iraqis lashing out at the United States to express their frustration over what the Bush administration has and hasn't done.

In recent weeks the administration -- in effect acknowledging the failure of its own efforts -- has turned to U.N. representative Lakhdar Brahimi to develop a formula for an interim Iraqi government that each of the major Iraqi factions can accept. It is vital that Brahimi accomplish this mission, but the odds are long, because tensions have been allowed to build and distrust among the various Iraqi groups runs deep. The United States can bolster Brahimi's limited leverage by saying in advance that we will support any plan he proposes that gains the support of Iraqi leaders. Moving forward, the administration must make the United Nations a full partner responsible for developing Iraq's transition to a new constitution and government. We also need to renew our effort to attract international support in the form of boots on the ground to create a climate of security in Iraq. We need more troops and more people who can train Iraqi troops and assist Iraqi police.

We should urge NATO to create a new out-of-area operation for Iraq under the lead of a U.S. commander. This would help us obtain more troops from major powers. The events of the past week will make foreign governments extremely reluctant to put their citizens at risk. That is why international acceptance of responsibility for stabilizing Iraq must be matched by international authority for managing the remainder of the Iraqi transition. The United Nations, not the United States, should be the primary civilian partner in working with Iraqi leaders to hold elections, restore government services, rebuild the economy, and re-create a sense of hope and optimism among the Iraqi people. The primary responsibility for security must remain with the U.S. military, preferably helped by NATO until we have an Iraqi security force fully prepared to take responsibility.

Finally, we must level with our citizens. Increasingly, the American people are confused about our goals in Iraq, particularly why we are going it almost alone. The president must rally the country around a clear and credible goal. The challenges are significant and the costs are high. But the stakes are too great to lose the support of the American people.

This morning, as we sit down to read newspapers in the comfort of our homes or offices, we have an obligation to think of our fighting men and women in Iraq who awake each morning to a shooting gallery in which it is exceedingly difficult to distinguish friend from foe, and the death of every innocent creates more enemies. We owe it to our soldiers and Marines to use absolutely every tool we can muster to help them succeed in their mission without exposing them to unnecessary risk. That is not a partisan proposal. It is a matter of national honor and trust.

Sen. Kerry (D-Mass.) is the presumptive Democratic nominee for president.

2004 The Washington Post Company

PhillyFanatic 04-14-2004 08:02 PM

I think Kerry makes a great point in saying that "Increasingly, the American people are confused about our goals in Iraq, particularly why we are going it almost alone. The president must rally the country around a clear and credible goal." Bush never laid out the exact reason why we are in Iraq, as he almost kept three reasons at bay that he interchanges when questioned about one. He talks about how Saddam is evil and needs to be ousted after what he's done to his people, how Iraq has WMDs and that the US doesn't tolerate them, and then finally says that they are involved with terrorists and this war will prevent another September 11th. Which one was it? Maybe the administration would have the support of the majority of the country in their decision if they would've laid out clear reasons why they wanted to go to war, along with evidence (not satellite pictures, either). Obviously he doesn't need much evidence if he uses the first reason since the torture is well-documented, but then why is it our job to police the world? Even then, is North Korea next with their lunatic leader, where the estimates are that it will take one million Americans to get the job done? That's what I fear most should Bush get re-elected.

Count Zero, great post. If the thinking was like that in Vietnam, there would be a few hundred thousand more people that made it through that war instead of dieing during what was virtually admitted to be a lost cause.