View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 03:55 AM
Captain

Default Smith floored literally, figuratively

Glad to see Mike is OK.

If you didn't see the race, it looked like it could've been very bad, he is very fortunate he didn't get seriously injured.

Hollywood Park
Smith floored literally, figuratively
By BRAD FREE
INGLEWOOD, Calif. - The rider never saw it coming, nor did anyone else. Prized Friend was on his way to an apparent victory in the $150,000 Khaled Stakes on Saturday, when jockey Mike Smith said, "he just saw something and made a left. He felt to me like he was going to go on and win. Next thing I knew, I was on the ground."
Prized Friend jumped the inner rail at the top of the stretch, throwing Smith, and then came to a stop in the infield. Smith was taken by ambulance to Centinela Medical Center where X-rays revealed no broken bones and four hours later he was taken home.

Smith took off the remainder of his mounts Saturday and Sunday but plans to resume riding this week. "I'm just a little bumped and bruised," he said.

Smith was examined Sunday morning by his doctor and was found to have a sore groin and toe, and a scraped shin. The spill on Prized Friend was the second spill for Smith on Saturday. In the Snow Chief Stakes, his mount Bold N Broke hit the side of the starting gate while breaking slowly, then broke two legs and went down nearing the three-eighths pole. Bold N Broke was euthanized.