View Single Post
Old 03-18-2002, 05:51 PM
Five Star General

Default J. GORDON'S WIFE FILES FOR DIVORCE...

By DAVID POOLE
Charlotte Observer

DARLINGTON, S.C. - Four-time NASCAR Winston Cup champion Jeff Gordon declined comment Saturday on reports that his wife of more than seven years, Brooke, has filed for a divorce.

"You can talk to me about sitting on the outside of the front row," Jeff Gordon said Saturday at Darlington Raceway, the site of Sunday's Dodge 400 race. "I would love to talk about that because we have a really good car."

The Palm Beach Post of West Palm Beach, Fla., reported Saturday that Brooke Gordon filed for divorce Friday, saying their marriage is "irretrievably broken as a result of the husband's marital misconduct."

Marital misconduct is defined legally as any conduct that undermines the marital relationship or behavior that forces one spouse to assume extra burdens in a marriage.

The Gordons, who have no children, have two homes in Palm Beach County. They have been a highly visible couple since their wedding Nov. 26, 1994.

The Charlotte Observer was unable to attain a copy of the divorce petition.

According to Palm Beach Post, Brooke Gordon, 32, is asking for exclusive use of a 23,095-square-foot oceanfront home in Highland Beach, Fla., valued at $9 million for tax purposes. The newspaper said the suit says Jeff Gordon is now temporarily living in North Carolina.

Brooke also wants Jeff to continue to pay salaries of daytime and evening housekeepers, maintenance workers and a chef at the Highland Beach home, as well as alimony. She also wants two of the couple's cars, a Porsche and a Mercedes, and periodic use of their boats and a plane owned by one of their companies.